The following analysis is based on users listed on the Physicists on Twitter list, which since February 2013 has tracked physicists with over 1,000 followers. The follower growth rate for a user is net over the period from the first day of tracking the user to December 6, 2013.
Over 100K followers
- This group contains only two users:
- Median growth rate: 41 followers/day (fpd).
- The physics rapid risers of 2013:
- @bgreene (50 fpd) neared then paralleled @seanmcarroll (22 fpd).
- @debbiebere (16 fpd) jumped sharply in October, but otherwise grew negligibly.
- Median growth rate: 3.7 followers per day (fpd).
- @lirarandall (8.4 fpd) passed @jonmbutterworth (5.5 fpd) in June to take the lead in this cohort.
- @AtheneDonald (8.4 fpd) appears likely to pass @AboutPhysics (1.9 fpd) to 3rd place in this cohort in early 2014.
- @grahamfarmelo (4.4 fpd) jumped in November.
- One to watch in 2014: Starting from the bottom of the pack, @aatishb (8.6 fpd) three times surged sharply, passing several others. He has the highest growth rate in the cohort.